Monday, July 7, 2008

Life Changing Events (Part 1)

First, before the post really begins, I'd like to share a bit of trivia. Take a look at my profile. Notice at the end of my comments is a big loud AAAAAAY! That is known as wildcatting. It's a thing you do at the end of yells and when your class year is mentioned. I'm a freshman, so my wildcat is arms up in the air yelling AAAAAAY!

Last week was a big one for me. I don't mean that in a small, insignificant way. I mean that in a serious, big time, probable-life-changing sort of way. What happened? New Student conference.

New Student Conference is the "event" that starts off the career of a freshman at A&M. Basically it's a seminar designed to keep the average freshman informed of his opportunities. They tell you what kind of bus services, financial aid services, get-out-of-debt services, food service, keep-yourself-fit services, internet services, honors programs, academic advising, fish camp, intramural sports, diversity training(!) and a host of other things. It kinda reminds me of all the services that came with my computer. Lots of cool stuff, but very little of it applies to me. After all, I'm not your average freshman. I'm a freshman in the Corps.

Most of the time I spent listening politely to statements that sounded about as interesting as your average senator. The one big important thing I got done was signing up for the Corps officially, which included ROTC signup (Ross is going to hate me - I went Air Force) and getting fit for my uniforms.

Here I am in my uniform (minus brass and belt).

Yes, it is sideways, and yes, the quality is lousy.













With getting the uniform fitted came the fitting of the low quarters (uniform shoes) and standard army boots. Meaning I now get to wear them in. You have no idea how uncomfortable that is at times, but it's getting better.

Also at New Student Conference, I signed up for my first semester courses. Amazingly enough, I got EVERY SINGLE ONE I WANTED! That's a big deal, especially considering we were running kindof late from uniform fitting, and all the signups happen at the same time.

For the other big life changing event, stay tuned until later this week when it's official (more or less)

1 comment:

Petr said...

I happen to know what that is, but I guess I shan't comment about it just in case he finds it another major spoiler. *rolling eyes*