Monday, March 2, 2009

Still Alive

Outfit Brass push is here! This is the part of my Corps career where we prove to the upperclassmen that we are a fish class worthy to be called Falcons. This is supposed to be much harder than Corps Brass, where we were merely showing that we could be fish in the Corps. Corps Brass they actually had to give to us (though they have at times threatened to take it away). There is no such requirement for Outfit Brass. There are actually classes that have not gotten it in the past. Also, there is not deadline. Our juniors reportedly too six weeks, and our sophomores took about a wee and a half. I'm seeing a strong correlation between class size and length of Outfit Brass, so I don't expect to be done anytime soon.

To officially kick off Otfit Brass, we went to the MSC this morning (the place is deserted at 5:45) and read all the records of the Medal of Honor Winners. When we got back, after formation, we had to re-whipout to out seniors, since we are now greeting "three-deep". Three-deep greeting requires us to greet with name, hometown, and major. So basically, everyone's going to try to avoid the quad when there are likely to be seniors present. I expect that in the next few days we will also be greeting juniors and then sophomores three-deep. In the three hours since formation, at least three lists of seniors with major and hometown have been sent out on the fish listserv. At least we've got some idea of what we're doing. I expect we'll start going over them like campos in the near future.

In other news, I'm actually doing well in all of my classes. I just got out of an exam for my SOMS class (it's supposed to teach us how to be direct leaders, but I haven't actually learned anything yet) and I think I did pretty well, considering I spent all of five minutes studying for it. Organic chemistry and Calculus three are both doing alright, and I'm pretty sure I'm beating my junior who's in Cal 3 and my sophomore in O-chem. I absolutely destroyed my Poly Sci class, and should get a bag-in for that on Thursday. Air Force classes are pretty fun right now. A couple of weeks ago we got to train on M9's, which are the standard issue pistol of the U.S. armed forces. It's hard to shoot straight with a pistol. We're also preparing to give sample briefings on leadership and teamwork (whee).

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Really? A "wee and a half"? Bet they would be surprised.

I assume "destroying your Poly Sci class" is a good thing?

Glad you wrote. Will continue to pray for you.